Friday, August 13, 2010

Black Coffee

I remember being younger and watching the way my dad drank coffee; Black. Some mornings I would be up early enough to get some coffee myself but I would never dare to try drinking it the way that he did. I recognized the kind of man he is by the way he drinks his coffee. (I know it sounds silly.) My dad's a very strong person, especially in my eyes I learned that from watching him drink his morning coffee. The bitter taste of the black coffee doesn't even phase him, didn't phase him, and probably never will.
I also remember thinking to myself, way back then, that I would never be able to drink coffee the same way that he does. He was this big strong man and I was just a puny little shrimp kid. I needed cream and sugar. Lots of sugar.
As I write this, I'm on my second giant mug of black coffee.

Lets say that the coffee is our relationship with God. Depending on how tired you are (in life, through trials) your amount of coffee, and the way you drink it can change. The less trials you have, the less tired you are and you have your coffee with cream and sugar. Your faith exists but it isn't always the way you stay awake at work.
Now, there are trials. The sleep goes, and staying awake becomes the hardest thing you do everyday. If you choose correctly, you choose to strengthen your relationship with God. A.k.a. Black coffee.

It may seem like somewhat of a stretch, but that's what I am thinking of as I sit here drinking my black coffee, journaling and reading my bible.

I like it this way.

1 comment: