Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Stranger Stopped the Bus..

I have always been taught that the way you treat people, wether or not you can understand them, was very important.
Several weeks ago on the Baltic Sea trip with the church group the bus driver (from the bus the group had rented) was one of the people that I applied this everyday upbringing with. When we dined I made sure he had enough food, etc... just kind of my serving personality. Coming from the family that I do it is so natural for me to make sure everyone at the table has food and drink and is comfortable.
Despite the huge language barrier, and little time spent together, this bus driver and I became friends. I appreciated his work for us, and he appreciated our group.. (I feel)
anywhoooo
I was going to Riga on friday, and was about to miss my bus, due to incorrect reading and anxious spacey-ness. I was walking out of the station and ran into the driver from our trip, I stopped him and asked how he was doing, (little bit of Latvian that I know.) He introduced me to his friend from work and I showed him my ticket to ask where it was I was supposed to be. He pointed to the bus that warming up to leave. I understood a few words from him "RUN! FAST!" I start running after the bus as it starts to drive off.

I stop running and consider just buying another ticket for a different time, easy to fix, no big deal. Then I look over and I see the almost stranger running after the bus for me. Now, usually the average nice person that you've only met once would just tell you when the next bus was and make sure you got to the right place; nope. Not this guy, not this stranger.
The bus stopped in the middle of the road and I climbed on. I couldn't really say "thank you" enough. It was so touching to me.

I suppose the story sounds kind of simple, but in so many different ways it was confirmation that I'm always looked out for. I was happy that it was that bus driver, from that one trip, that I took that one week. And I'm glad that it was that one meal, that I made sure he wasn't in the least bit hungry, and that for some reason or another we have this understanding that we're friends. Though neither of us know the other's name.

sometimes God just knows when you need to know you're looked out for, and that was that moment.
Needless to say, it was a great bus ride.

1 comment:

  1. You never know when you may entertain angels!!! Or become friends with one!

    ReplyDelete