Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Wedding and a Holiday

There is nothing like a good ol' fashion wedding to start off your Liga/Jani day holiday. Some friends from last year had their wedding yesterday, and from about 9 until 5 in the afternoon I was sitting around listening to the mixture of Latvian and English that was thrown around the sanctuary. It really is one of my favorite things- sitting in a room and not understanding what is being said.
The wedding was beautiful, Eduards and Kitija (the newly weds) looked absolutely beautiful! It wasn't like most traditional Latvian weddings (where the groom has to carry the bride of seven bridges) . It was actually more like your average American wedding. One tradition that I think is lovely here is the newly weds putting a lock on a bridge (usually engraved with their names and the wedding date) and then throwing the key into the river. The whole wedding day was very sweet.


After that, and after a nap and a HUGE cup of coffee we headed to Inese's house for the holiday. Inese is a lady from our church and an excellent cook! and if you know me, you know I love to eat. Several people were there and it was great to spend so much time with close friends. We made flower wreaths to wear on our head and sat around the campfire. We got to sing, dance, play, eat, and then eat some more. I have really enjoyed being able to become so close to the girls in the church, and I hope that when I'm gone they will continue the work that's being done here.

flower picking for the wreaths!


Our wonderful dinner!


I call these "cotton candy sunsets"

Yesterday was wonderful, and today will be equally so. I hope for some good conversations and some great experiences as well.
Tomorrow there may be a possible trip to Riga. Since both the boys are gone on some manly adventures I am the only one chillin' at home with Mom and Pops Wimberley. Who knows what is in store for today, once my friends are awake we may go out to find some adventures of our own.
Enjoy the rest of your day, and I'll post again soon!

čau!

No comments:

Post a Comment